Monday, July 26, 2010

Book - Emily Pohl-Weary's A Girl Like Sugar (2004)

Emily Pohl-Weary may not be very well known, even to fellow Canadians, but she definitely should be. A Girl Like Sugar was Pohl-Weary's first novel. Typically Pohl-Weary writes poetry and short stories. I hadn't yet heard of her when I had first started A Girl Like Sugar. But am I ever glad I did finally pick up that book.

A Girl Like Sugar is a story about a young woman, once dependant upon her rock star boyfriend. They lived together through thick and thin. Unfortunately, she lost him at a young age and now she's trying to learn to live again. In something akin to a moment straight from Truly, Madly, Deeply (1990), Sugar Jones's boyfriend returns to her from beyond the grave. Yet, still, she must learn to move on and learn that her life didn't end when his did.

Despite all the thick emotions, Pohl-Weary's writing style made it easy to read and allowed room for wit and comedy. You really get a feel for what Sugar is going through and what she had been through to get where she now is. It's full of scenes and moments from her past. How much she had felt for her boyfriend, and how she still feels is evident on each and every page. But, in some instances, it is the supporting characters that really make the moment. You can see how her friends are coping with the loss of Sugar's boyfriend and in a way, the loss of Sugar in some aspects. But, it gives her room to grow. By the end, you really feel like you've learned something valuable.

I really wish I had been smart enough to buy myself a copy of this book instead of borrowing it from the library. Next time I'm out shopping, I'm going to make time to find a copy. I really suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment